Tuesday, August 5, 2008

First and Last


Today was my baby's first day of kindergarten. I've done this before with other kids, so you think I'd be okay. But she's my last baby, so I'm not. I watched her walk in through the kindergarten door, with a tentative wave and a half smile back at me until our eyes no longer met. Then I cried.

I cried because I'm happy and because I'm sad. I'll miss having her at home. She's my baby. I'll never send another kid off to kindergarten. It's my last day of the first day of kindergarten forever. But I'm happy that she's mine, that she is growing and learning and will have new opportunites, and that I will have a few more hours each day to myself.

My 14 year old was with me. She said that watching Noelle go off to kindergarten made her wonder where she herself would be in 10 years. I told her she'd very likely be married, possibly with a kid of her own. She decided to stop wondering. I smiled.

1 comment:

Menner said...

Bittersweet, I guess. Exciting and new for her, sad for you.

Just think of all the extra work you'll be able to get done (or time playing Sims) in those few extra hours a day.

I'm not looking forward to taking my kids to school. I'm glad I have a few more years before I have to worry about that. I'll call you for emotional support when I ball my eyes out at Jenny's first day of school.