
You know that old book "All I really need to know I learned in Kindergarten" by Robert Fulghum? Things like "share everything," "play fair," and "don't hit people."
Well there's also a Mormon copycat list: "All I really need to know I learned in Primary." I personally like "choose the right," "kindness begins with me," and "do your duties with a heart full of song." And this year I choose CTR for my mantra.
I could have said I chose it as my motto. The dictionary says a motto is "a short saying expressing the guiding maxim or ideal of a family, organization, etc." I hope CTR to be my guiding maxim, so that's true. But I like mantra better. The dictionary says a mantra (hinduism, buddhism) is "any sacred word or syllable used as an object of concentration and embodying some aspect of spiritual power." I think CHOOSE for me fits this definition.
Given my understanding of the Plan of Salvation, choice is very much part of my spiritual power. Not in the same way the hindus would use it, I'm sure. But I'd rather feel empowered by my ability to choose the right (which often means choosing "best" over "better") than hindered by feelings that I have to deny myself certain things.
I like knowing that I am "free to choose liberty and eternal life, through the great Mediator of all men." I want to ponder the ways to "choose you this day whom ye will serve" and the meaning of "here is wisdom, and let every man choose for himself until I come." (2 Ne 2:27, Joshua 24:15, D&C 37:4)
Funny how I haven't really ever used CTR in my personal life as an adult. How often we hear it in primary, and now even as youth with the popular rings and other jewelry. But you almost never see it or think of it as an adult. Well, it's time for me to remember the lessons I learned in childhood. Only this time it's not just to help me remember the lessons of share, play nice and not hit people.
This time, for me, it will be to use CTR as a motivating and empowering idea. I am currently wearing one of those cheap-o adjustable band CTR rings you get in primary. Noelle got one on Sunday but since she already has two other rings, she kindly let me have this one. I also want to get some CTR emblem stickers and put them on things like my debit card, my computer, my calendar, my steering wheel.
On my debit card, to help me remember that I get to CHOOSE to spend my money on the things that matter most. On my computer, to help me remember that I get to CHOOSE to spend my leisure time learning or creating things online instead of hours of brainless computer games. On my calendar, to help me remember that I get to CHOOSE to spend my time on the things that matter most. And on my steering wheel because, well, if you know me.....
I've also heard that every choice you make brings you one step closer to God or one step away from Him. How can choosing to spend my money correctly bring me closer to God? Maybe by realizing that I'm following the counsel we've been given to stay out of debt, and to know that I am being a good steward over the things I've been blessed with. Also to make sure I give a full tithe and generous fast offering whilch helps others and brings me closer to God. Same thing with time. In this era of overload, I have to so often choose between two good things. This is hard for me, and often I think I choose the "better" things rather than the "best" things. (Dallin H. Oaks, October 2007 conference). Maybe my CTR ring can help me remember to more often choose the "best" things.
I've been choosing the right for just a few days now. Well, more than that hopefully, but really using it as a conscious motivating idea since Sunday. And guess what? I've accomplished a TON of stuff, and despite my long night of uncomfortable semi-sleep with my baby, I'm actually peaceful and happy this morning. I like it. I think I'm going to go CTR some more right now.
1 comment:
This is wonderful!
I need this reminder. My kids brought home CTR rings from primary on Sunday, and I am happy to report that when I stepped on the one left on the floor this morning I did not yell the nasty word that came to my lips. When I saw what it was I stepped on, it took the scold right out of me. I was ready to lay down some law about toys on the floor, but...
I need mantra. I need mantra that keeps my voice calm and kind. I feel that if I can control my voice my emotions will follow.
Perhaps 'choose' will be mine as well.
Post a Comment