Saturday, June 21, 2008

Perfection

Do I still have any readers? Probably not. I assume at some point someone will decide to check in and see if I have a new post, but seeing as I haven't had one for over two months it might take a while. That's okay.

I haven't decided what I want this forum to be anyway. Is it just my personal ramblings, like a journal I don't mind sharing? Is it a place to put the latest goings-on in my life so I can update my family and friends? Is it an outlet for creative writing, for ideas that are well thought out and well written?

Today I realized that it is the perfectionist in me that has kept me from writing recently. I have had many ideas come and go of things I'd like to write about, but I haven't had time to give them the attention they deserve, and so they are set aside. There have, in fact, been many things going on in the last two months I could write about. I ended a preschool year, I took a trip to England, I've started adding on to my house, I've had kids' events like high school graduation, birthdays and swimming lessons. But here we are 2 months later with several draft posts saved in my blog, and none posted.

So today I had a flash of inspiration which I will attend to shortly. It seems that the best writings (for me, anyway) come quickly. If I will catch them in their fleeting moments to keep them safe and then give them just a bit of attention, they may just develop into something worthwhile.

So, perfection: get lost. I'm savoring a bit of quiet time to see what thoughts I can keep alive. And I'll write about them, even if I'm the only one who knows they're here.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I am a faithful reader. Do you know about Google Reader? You can "subscribe" to blogs you like to read and it will tell you when they are updated. That way you don't have to come around and check everybody's blog every day and be disappointed that there is nothing new. Rather, you don't worry about it and then are pleasantly surprised when you see a new post! But even if Google Reader did not exist, I would visit your blog often just to check.