I didn't get around to taking any pictures until later in the day when the sunlight was harsh and the photos aren't quite what I thought they'd be. I may replace them later. Or (perfection--get thee hence!) I may not. I decided to start with what's closest to home, and maybe I'll get to my neighborhood at another time.
This is my flowering plum tree. I got it because I like to see signs of spring as soon as possible, and these trees usually blossom early. I adore the pink blossoms that cover it in the spring and the dark reddish purple foliage the rest of the summer. This spring, however, we maybe got 15 blossoms. I don't know if it's the strange weather we're having or if it is the fact that I have trouble growing things. Either way, I missed them.
The other strange thing about this tree is the way it grows. It has lots of branches growing on its north and south sides, but very few growing east and west. So if you look at it right, it looks a bit like it's been smashed in between two giant hands. My dad taught me how to prune it and encourage growth in the directions it needs, and I hope that with time it will look like a normal tree.
These are my rose bushes. They bring me happiness and pain. Emotional pain and physical pain. I have a thorn in my finger that has been there for at least a week, which I got while pruning just a few branches. I pressed on it a little to firmly when I took this picture, and it still hurts. (It's still hurting, Charlie!)
I love the roses when they are fully in bloom. They are just past their prime now, but I did find one pretty one and took a close up. They smell wonderful and they are a great barrier between me and my neighbors. And believe me, I need that barrier. The problem is they grow like crazy and every year should really be pruned back by at least half. But getting them pruned is a disaster because we don't have anything to cut them with that works very well without getting scratched to death during the process. I can't decide what to do with them.
These are the stupid arborvitae. Maybe if I would quit calling them stupid they'd grow better. Maybe if they'd grow better I'd quit calling them stupid. We've planted several and ripped them out and tried again. You can see the middle two are quite dead and the outside three might have a chance. There's actually another row of five and they all look bad.
The story of the arborvitae goes back to an unpleasant story about my neighbors, which I won't go into here. Suffice it to say that in trying to keep the peace I decided to rip out half the rose bushes, which apparently grow through the fence onto their side. I wanted an evergreen hedge that would grow tall enough to completely block their house and that would be alive all year. Someone suggested arborvitae. I have been struggling with them ever since. I killed the first batch with too much fertilizer. Apparently I haven't learned the lesson about too much of a good thing.... Anyway, the others we didn't fertilize very much at all and they are dying also. I have tried different kinds of soil and different amounts of water. Nothing seems to work. I'm almost ready to give up, but I'm working on a home addition this year so the landscaping will have to wait until next year. My advice: do NOT plant arborvitae, even if you have seen beautiful ones that are 20 feet tall.
A few nights ago my 4 year old asked if I would go outside with her and push her on the swing. Usually I'm too busy and say "not right now," but that night I was amazed that I actually had time and was able to spend a few minutes with her outside. It was a beautiful moment. The heat of the day was gone, I enjoyed the semi-quiet privacy that we now have because of a fence that protects us from the noise and onlookers from the busy road, and I was happy that the playground was getting some use. It reminded me of Shel Silverstein's story, The Giving Tree, and I wondered what the playground might say about having someone finally paying it some attention.
Why am I putting in pictures of garbage cans? Because I like to complain. See how the lid is not on the can? That's because it's broken. All the cans are broken, some worse than others. This one is broken to the point that you can't put the lid back on. Why is it broken? Because I live on a busy road and sometimes the garbage cans tip over and roll around on the ground and occasionally get hit by cars.
Sometimes they tip over because the garbage collectors don't do a very good job putting them back down. Sometimes they tip over because we have a big windstorm. Sometimes they tip over because my teenager doesn't like to bring the cans in (which is his job) so they sit out there all week. I could bring them in, and often I do. Especially now since they are all broken. But I'd rather leave them out there to prove a point, until he actually goes out and does his job.
You'd think I'd have learned by this time that leaving them out proves nothing other than the fact that my boy doesn't care, but every once in a while I have a masochistic urge to try again. So I let them sit out for a few days until I give up again.
For one thing, I think I'm allergic to them. I'd never heard of one before I moved in here, and I'd also never had seasonal allergies before either. Now they try to kill me several times a year. For another thing, they drop billions of seeds onto the ground every year and make a huge mess to clean up. Many of the seeds try to become trees in any random pile of dirt I may have lying around. I quickly put that to an end each year. And for another thing, every time we have a windstorm we have hundreds of little sticks and often several large sticks and branches to clean up.
I have another neighbor who hates the trees more than I do. She told my mother-in-law that she heard that Chinese Elm get diseased rather easily, and she is praying for the day that ours get sick and die so we have to chop them all down. Then she wouldn't have to clean up after them. If you saw her perfectly manicured lawn you would understand why I developed a tad bit more affection for the trees after hearing this story.
You can't see it very well here because it is hiding behind some teenage Chinese Elm. These are the only trees I like, because I prefer looking at them than the shop that is in quite a state of disrepair. Every year my husband and mother-in-law decide against my will that it is time to chop the trees down. They argue that if you let the trees get too big the roots will destroy the foundation of the shop. I haven't admitted that I would find no little happiness in that outcome. I argue that the green of the trees is nice and softens the look at the run down building. I lose every year. It's only June yet--we'll see how long they last this year.
This is my mailbox. Well, although I have mail delivered to it, I don't actually think it is my mailbox. It's my husband's grandfather's mailbox. It still has his name on it. He built the house we live in, and this mailbox is attached to a wobbly post in the ground at the bottom of the hill. At one time my husband said he liked having it there because it was like a reminder of his grandpa. I haven't asked him about it recently, and I wonder if he would even remember saying that now. When the home addition is complete, I will see to it that there will be a new mailbox. And it won't say Howard Gardner on it either.
These are the steps that lead to my mailbox. I hate them. They are made from a few old railroad ties and the occasional bit of concrete. There is no hand rail and they are difficult to navigate. In the summer I have to wade through foot-high weeds or walk on recently trimmed dead waste, as you see here. In the winter I have to guess where I think the steps are under several inches of snow. Sometimes I guess right and everything's fine. Sometimes I guess wrong and end up in snow up to my knees. When my husband is feeling generous or has enough time, he will shovel a path from the front door across the front lawn to the hill and down the stairs. But most of the time I end up guessing. When the home addition is complete, I will move the location of the mailbox and never have to navigate these stairs again. I hope.
This is a golden euonymous. I have two of them. I got them because I was looking for something that would have color to it even during the winter, and I noticed that several of my neighbors have them. I have seen them in a variety of sizes and thought I would be able to prune mine to be what I wanted. Unfortunately, mine haven't grown an inch since we planted them at least three years ago. I've watered them and they are in good soil. They get full sun, which is what they like. Why do they not grow? I think it is because they like to smile at me the same way I smile at certain people that choose to go through the muddy driveway.
These are my satellite dishes. Yes, I have two of them and yes, they are from two different companies. Actually the Dish Network one isn't hooked up right now because we recently changed to DirecTV. I like the Dish Network satellite. I like its nice small size and obscure location. I do not like the DirecTV satellite. I do not like its outlandish size which protrudes from the back of my house like a giant pimple. I do not like the placement of it which partly obstructs the bathroom window. I do not like the serviceman who decided that would be a good location and installed it without consulting me. And I do not like the menu on the TV when I'm watching it because it is too small and out of focus. And no, that's not because I'm old. It's because it's stupid.
We changed providers because we bought a new TV and we got a good deal on it plus a $250 cash card to Costco (yes, we bought the TV at Costco like everything else) if we switched. As soon as my 2 year contract is up I'm switching back to the nice, non-offensive Dish Network satellite with a TV menu I can actually read. I hope that the two companies are not playing "keep up with the Jones's" and that when I switch back to Dish Network I'll have an even more annoying satellite somewhere else. At least next time I'll know to supervise the installation.
Well, there you have it. A little bit about what I like and what I don't like about where I live. I can't wait to have my home addition done so I can have a lot more stuff I like to talk about. And maybe post pictures about. And maybe develop a few more things to complain about. That's life, isn't it? Now come on, it's your turn...
No comments:
Post a Comment