A week or so ago I got in the mail a Notice of Ordinance Violation from the city. It states: "Debris on north side of the house must be stored in an enclosed structure or disposed of." It further states: "In 14 days this property will be inspected again. If at that time this property is found to be in compliance, this case will be closed and further remedies will not be sought. However, if compliance has not been attained, criminal and/or civil action may be taken."
Criminal? My junk pile is a crime?
I've had a junk pile in that location off and on for the entire 8 years I've lived in this house, and no one has said anything. Now that I'm remodeling my house am I a target? Did some pain-in-the-neck neighbor turn me in? Did a roving code enforcement officer happen to pass by only once in 8 years? I'm not a criminal. In fact, as I went outside to look at the pile (to see how big of a dumpster I'd better hurry up and order) I decided I kind of liked it. I don't like that it is junking up my yard. But I like what I think about when I see what's in it.
Examples:
Crushed up concrete. I wanted to plant tulip bulbs. We have gopher issues. I didn't want the gopher to eat the bulbs. So I asked my husband to build me a flower garden with a concrete bottom so the gopher couldn't tunnel up into it. Because he loves me, he did it. Then a few years later when I decided I wanted to add on to the house, the flower garden had to go. I asked him to dig it up and dispose of the concrete. Because he loves me, he did it.
Empty soda cup. I wonder how many gallons of soda we have purchased from the local gas station since this project started? Some for us, some for friends and family who have provided help. I wonder how much money I've spent on soda in my life?
Empty box of landscape edging. Thank you to all the many friends and family who came in response to my urgent call for help when I needed a temporary gravel walkway put in. Thank you for your hard work and aching bodies. Every time I walk on my walkway I think of you.
Old cardboard wrapping paper organizer. This organizer has been with me for about 15 years. It held the same unused wrapping paper in the back of my closet for the last 8 years. I finally decided I wasn't going to use the wrapping paper and the organizer was too small to hold much of anything anyway, so it was time to let it go. Kind of sad to see it lying there, all wet and smashed flat, after standing up straight in a closet for 15 years. Why does it take me so long to get rid of things?
Various pieces of old wood, old siding, new pipe, wood shavings and foam that indicate a demolition/construction project is going on. I can't wait to have it ready to live in. I'm so grateful that we have the ability to make improvements to the house, and will try to remain so, especially when I have to clean it.
Notice to the city: Dumpster came, pile is gone. Happy?
No comments:
Post a Comment