Sunday, September 12, 2010

A Perfect Moment


The season has changed. The temperature has fallen and the breeze carries something new, crisp, and inviting. The birds outside my window are chattering, planning their upcoming journey south. The house is quiet, with the rest of my family at church. I sit on my bed and hold in my arms a tiny infant, flesh of my flesh and blood of my blood. She is awake, but only just. I feel at peace; yesterday’s struggle to provide her the nourishment she seeks now temporarily forgotten. What a miracle, what a blessing, what a gift it is that I have been allowed to be co-creator of this little life, and that my body has the means to sustain her life.

Tears of joy and gratitude come unbidden as I contemplate my life. All I have, everything I am and everyone I love having been given me through the grace of God. I think of the many souls who make up the family to which I belong, the ones who give meaning to and sustain my life. I am happy that she is now part of this family and my life--my precious Ava Grace.

No comments: