Wednesday, October 15, 2008

My Worst Nightmare

When I was a kid I had a recurring nightmare about Animal from the Muppet Show, larger than life, chasing me around my Orem home. We would pass in front of the TV, which was opposite my mother in a corner on a rocking chair. She would just watch me getting chased.

I also had nightmares about flying around my Colorado home. The worst part was the end when I'd fly down the stairs. Sometimes I'd wake up on the floor, having fallen out of bed.

Over the years I've had lots of nightmares. Some were about movie-style scary people chasing me. Some were about the death of someone I knew. Some made absolutely no sense at all but terrified me anyway. Often, these nightmares were influenced by stresses going on in my life at the time.

One night this past week I woke up after another nightmare. The stresses that are currently influencing my life and dreams have to do with my home addition, my budget, my work as a preschool and piano teacher, and my completely ridiculously overbooked schedule. In this nightmare, summer was coming to a close and all of the piano students who had taken the summer off were about to start their lessons again. Problem was, I had filled my schedule based on the number of students I had in the summer, having completely forgotten these students were going to return.

I went into complete panic mode. I didn't have room for these students in my schedule. What was I going to do with them? Were the parents going to hate me for forgetting? Would I have to lose their business? Would I cram them into my schedule and be less available for my family and completely lose my mind?

When I woke up, my body felt tense and my mind was racing with ideas about how to solve the problem. After about 15 minutes my mind realized that this had been a dream. When this happened, I felt an enormous sense of relief and relaxation, and said out loud: "Thank heaven that was just a dream!"

I'm glad I'm not having any horror movie-style nightmares at the moment. But I wonder what it means that apparently my worst nightmare is about having enough time in the day to do my work.

2 comments:

Menner said...

Oh Shelley. I'd laugh if it wasn't so sad.

Emily said...

your first thought should have been to give all the students to me! i've got room! of course, they probably don't want to come down to provo. but they should because they would love me!

i recently had a dream where i woke up and went into the kitchen and kevin was sitting shirtless on a horse, getting ready for work. at least you have normal dreams.